Learn how to make peacock feather earrings with beads in these step by step jewelry making instructions.
If earrings are your 'thing', you're gonna love these unique earrings!
Peacock feather jewelry is beautiful and colorful.
Making earrings with peacock feathers, and beads of course, is easy!
We'll use feathers, seed beads, a little wire and a couple of jewelry making tools. And, boom you're done. Make them now, wear them tonight!
Beading Tutorial Category: Beginning Wirework
Skill Level: Beginning Beading
Here is an explanation and pictures of jewelry pliers used in bead jewelry projects.
Select two peacock feathers from the bunch. The colorful wide portion of the feather is the bottom. The stem with its branches of slender feathers is the top.
1. About halfway down from the top of the feather, place a fold over
crimp underneath the stem of the feather.
Make sure the ring on the top of the fold over crimp points towards the top of the feather stem (or upwards).
2. Using flat nose pliers, close each side of the fold over crimp
tightly over the feather's stem . There should be a small space at the corner
of the crimp end large enough for the 26 gauge round wire to fit through it.
The back of stem of the peacock feather is shaped like a triangle so the crimp end may not fold exactly flat. This is okay, but just be sure the fold over crimp end is secure.
Here's a tutorial on what crimp ends are and on How to Use Crimp Ends.
3. Using wire cutters, cut off the top of the feather just above the crimp.
4. Using wire cutters, cut two six inch (15.2 cm) lengths of 26 gauge
round half hard wire. (Not pictured)
Slide one end of one 6 inch (15.2 cm) length of wire up through the small space at the corner of the fold over crimp and the feather's stem.
Allow about a 1/8 inch (or about 5 mm) length of wire to protrude above the top of the fold over crimp.
Use your index finger or flat nose pliers to bend the protruding wire over the back edge of the fold over crimp.
5. On the free end of the wire, thread enough 11/0 seed beads to take up a couple of inches of space. Slide the seed beads down the wire to rest at the base of the wire where it exits the fold over crimp.
6. Now you will snugly wrap the wire with beads around the stem of
Using your index finger and thumb of one hand, grasp the wire at the point where the seed beads end. Hold them snugly into place against one another and the base of the wire.
Using your index finger and thumb of your other hand, firmly grasp the entire fold over crimp.
Now, beginning at the base of the fold over crimp, wrap the wire of beads around the stem of the feather. As you wrap the wire you may need to bring your fingers down to hold the top couple of wraps.
Make a few or several wraps around the stem of the feather adding more seed beads if necessary.
Make a few wraps of bare wire around the feather stem to secure the beads.
7. Using wire cutters, trim any excess wire. Using flat nose pliers, tuck the wire end in close the feather stem.
8. Using flat nose pliers, open an earwire and attach it to the ring
on top of the fold over crimp. Use the pliers to close the loop of the earwire.
Use the pliers to tuck the protruding wire at the top of the fold over crimp in snuggly against the crimp.
9. Repeat Steps 1 through 8 to make a second earring.
You're done...Enjoy your beaded peacock feather earrings!