2 by 2 Chainmail Pattern Instructions: Learn how to make a starter chain for other chainmail weaves like Byzantine and Box Chain.
This chain maille weave is what is called a starter chain for many weaves. It can also be weaved into a chain to make beautiful jewelry. Add beads and you have beaded jewelry.
The technique is simple. To make the starter chain simply join two pairs of jump rings into two other pairs of jump rings.
To make a bracelet or necklace simply continue to join pairs of jump rings until you reach your desired length.
Here, we'll make a 2 by 2 chain bracelet and add a charm.
2 by 2 Chain Bracelet Length
Approximately 8 inches (20.3 cm)
Jewelry Making Supplies
1. Before you begin the weave, use the two pairs of chain nose pliers to open
(How to Open and Close Jump Rings) about half of the jump rings.
Use one of the chain nose pliers and grasp one open jump ring near one side of its opening.
With your fingers place four closed jump rings onto the open jump ring.
2. Using two pairs of chain nose pliers, close the open jump ring.
3. With the chain nose pliers pick up one open jump ring and slide the same four closed jump rings from Step 1 on to it.
4. Close the open jump ring.
5. Spread two pairs of jump rings on each side of the two jump rings that you closed. You end up with three pairs of jump rings in a 2 by 2 by 2 pattern that make a starter chain. This starter chain is usually designated as 2-2-2 starter chain in chainmail instructions.
6. To make the chain easier to handle, thread the twist tie through one pair of jump rings on one end of the chain and twist it to secure it. These pair of jump rings become the beginning of the chain, or the first pair of jump rings.
7. With the chain nose pliers pick up one open jump ring and slide it through the pair of jump rings on the other end of the chain.
Close the jump ring.
With the chain nose pliers pick up another open jump ring and slide it through the same pair of jump rings.
Close the jump ring.
9. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 until the length of the chain is within one inch (2.5 cm) of your desired length.
10. Use an open jump ring and attach one side of the toggle clasp to each end of the chain. Close each jump ring.
11. Use an open jump ring and attach the charm to one pair of jump rings along the length of the chain bracelet. Close the jump ring.
You're done...Your 2 by 2 chainmail pattern bracelet is complete!
Return to Top of 2 by 2 Chainmail Pattern page
Return to Chainmail Patterns page